** Curious about our upcoming speakers? Learn more here. **
Seminars are recorded and available upon request* (ValliIE@si.edu)
*Zoom recordings are automatically deleted after 15 months and will be unavailable after that period
- Uzay Sezen: Comparative transcriptomics of tropical woody plants supports leaf economic spectrum traits among lianas
- Jessie Needham: Forest carbon cycle insights from field and model collaborations
- Fanhua Kong: Pioneer tree species accumulate higher neighbourhood diversity than late-successional species in a subtropical forest
- Sofía Montalvo: Devil's gardens in Yasuní forest: A fascinating interaction between ants and trees
- Patrick Baker: Starvation Creek FDP: The first Australian plot in the ForestGEO network
- Luisa Gomez Correa: Influence of crown exposure to sunlight, tree growth and species wood density in the mortality of canopy trees at the Amacayacu plot
- Wirong Chanthorn: "Community assembly and functional traits of trees and lianas in a Southeast Asian Seasonal Forest"
- German Vargas G.: Understanding the distribution of drought tolerance in tropical forests
- Justin Mathias: Differential isotope-inferred leaf gas exchange strategies explain responses of Quercus rubra and Liriodendron tulipifera intrinsic water use efficiency to air pollution and climate change
- Maria Uriarte: Synergistic effects of droughts and hurricanes in Puerto Rican forests
- Joseph LaManna: Species interactions across abiotic gradients: An introduction to the Andrews Forest Dynamics Plots
- Ines Münchinger: "Thermal tolerance of temperate tree species depends on their drought resistance traits"
- Lukas Magee (he/him): "Interplay of oak density, light availability, and fire in the success of longleaf pine regeneration"
- Kamil Král (Blue Cat Research Team): "Canopy Space Occupancy and Tree Species Canopy Niches in European Old-Growth Forests"
- Susan Cordell: "Does Multi-Stemmed Habit in Trees Contribute to Resilience in Tropical Dry Forest?"
- Soren Struckman: "How fire is changing the Yosemite Forest Dynamics Plot"
JULY - no Seminar Series
- José A. Medina-Vega: "The distribution of ectomycorrhizal tree symbionts in lowland tropical forests"
- Jim Dalling: "Introducing the Trelease Woods Forest Dynamics: A century of ecological research in an Illinois deciduous forest"
APRIL - no Seminar Series
- Vanessa Rubio (she/her): "Functional groups, determinism and the dynamics of a tropical forest"
- Albert Y. Kim (he/him): "Using GitHub Actions continuous integration to automate quality assurance and control of ecological data
- Helene Muller-Landau: "Interspecific variation in tree-liana interactions and the implications for forest dynamics"
- Marcel Vaz: "Poor soils, rich forest: How leaf nutrients can mediate niche partitioning in the Central Amazon"
- Warren Brockelman: "Some research findings from the Mo Singto Plot: Why are there so few species of trees?"
- Cameron Dow: "Warmer spring temperatures in temperate deciduous forests advance the timing of tree growth but have little effect on annual woody productivity"
- Iveren Abiem: "To what extent do factors influencing species trajectories in lowland tropical forests apply to Afromontane counterparts?"
- Nidhi Vinod: "Thermal sensitivity across forest vertical profiles: patterns, mechanisms, and ecological implications - a review"
- Adam Martin: "Patterns and (Serious) Impacts of Beech Bark Disease in an Unmanaged Temperate Forest"
- Brian Enquist: "An Introduction to the San Emilio Forest Dynamics Plot: Assessing the drivers underlying four decades of change in a neotropical seasonally dry forest"
- Special Format: A conversation between Stuart Davies, Steve Hubbell, and Peter Ashton on the history and future directions of ForestGEO
- Melina de Souza Leite: "The dominant role of taxonomy in global forests: Disentangling the major contributions to tree demography"
- Pavel Samonil: "Tree mortality may drive landscape formation: comparative study from ten temperate forests"
- Yu-Yun Chen: "Does masting matter? Fate of seedlings in a general flowering forest"
- Xugao Wang: "How mycorrhizal associations influence diversity-biomass relationships among forests"
- Lisa Hülsmann: "Is there a latitudinal gradient in CNDD? Evidence from a new cross-site analysis based on tree mortality"
- Yves Basset: "ForestGEO Arthropod Initiative"
- Yuanzhi Li: "Are higher-order interactions prevalent in forests? An empirical test"
- Jenn Baltzer: "Permafrost thaw as a driver of species turnover and forest productivity change in a boreal peatland"
MAY - Lightning Talk Edition
- Kasia Ziemińska ON wood anatomy after a hurricane
- Nia Perron ON boreal peatland transpiration change
- Ben Kopania ON quantifying tropical branch turnover
- Andrea Drager ON Korup's understory floral visitors
- Bier Kraichak ON allometry for tropical seedlings
- Monique Weemstra: "Roots and leaves modulate each other’s effects on tree growth"
- Ryan Mushinski: "Using mycorrhizal categories to better define soil nitrogen cycling in temperate forests"
- Evan Gora: "Lightning in tropical forests: ecological effects and contributions to forest dynamics"
- Luiza Aparecido & Benjamin Blonder: "Does leaf venation reticulation provide damage resistance or resilience to herbivory?"
- Chris Wills: "Interactions Between All Pairs of Neighboring Trees in 16 Forests Worldwide: Ecological Processes and Evolutionary Histories"
- Kristina Anderson-Teixeira: "Using tree-ring records to simultaneously characterize the influence of climate, tree size, and slowly changing environmental drivers on annual growth"
- Bailey McNichol: "Topographic niches of woody species at a biogeographic crossroads in the Midwestern USA"
- Moses Libalah: "Interspecific demographic variation among growth-forms of tropical rainforests trees"
- Jess Zimmerman: "Luquillo FDP: Update with any eye on drought"
- KC Cushman: "Insights into tropical forest gap dynamics from repeat drone photogrammetry"
- Matthew Luskin: "Large wildlife as an important source of conspecific negative density dependence in tree recruitment in ForestGEO plots"
- Elsa Ordway: "Capturing variation in tropical forest structure and function in an Ecosystem Demography model"
- David Burslem: "Role of soil fungal networks in the maintenance of tree species richness of tropical and subtropical forests"
- Daniel Zuleta: "Patterns and modes of tropical tree mortality"
- Camille Piponiot: "Size-related carbon dynamics in ForestGEO sites"
- Dan Johnson: "Longleaf pine forest dynamics: low richness – complex coexistence"