The Forest Global Earth Observatory (ForestGEO) is dedicated to the study of tropical and temperate forest function and diversity and global climate change. The multi-institutional network comprises 72 forest research forests across the Americas, Africa, Asia, and Europe. ForestGEO achieves these goals through international collaborations and partnerships, scientific capacity building, and rigorous, long-term, and standardized data collection and analysis of the growth and survival of over 7 million trees and 12,000 species.
This is a paid internship opportunity wherein the intern will assist in the design and development of a new data management application for ForestGEO research sites. The intern will be supervised by Stuart Davies, the Director of ForestGEO, and Justin Pacholec, a Software Engineer at Microsoft, as well as several other stakeholders to create streamlined system for entering and validating forest dynamics data. The internship will initially focus on determining the functional requirements of the new data management application, then transition to developing the application.
Through this internship, the intern will
- Develop critical skills associated with design, software development, and collaborative problem solving.
- Learn about the diversity of tropical forests and tree species taxonomy.
- Develop understanding of biodiversity databases and research workflows.
- Gain exposure to non-profit, international program by collaborating with STRI and global partners.
- Students who are enrolled in a four-year college or university or recent college graduates.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- A passion for learning new concepts and skills.
- Completed projects or classes focused on software development.
- Experience designing the visual and functional components of a software application.
- Familiarity with ecology.
- Knowledge of SQL, React, web development, Git, and cloud computing.
Timeframe: At least 3 months
Desired Hours: Full time or part-time, ideally three full days/week minimum
Project Point of Contact: Stuart Davies, the Director of ForestGEO, and Justin Pacholec, a Software Engineer at Microsoft, will provide mentoring and management.
To apply: Send a single PDF file containing a cover letter and CV/resume to Lauren Krizel, ForestGEO Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for applications is 12 May 2021.
ForestGEO encourages students of minority groups to apply. Smithsonian Institution does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor